The contest period is now closed. Our next contest will be announced in the Fall of 2014.
Unboxed Books would like to thank all who shared their work with us by submitting to our contest.
The Unboxed Books Prize is open to all writers, regardless of publication history. We seek submissions of novels and short story collections. The contest is blind; your name and contact information will not be seen by anyone reading your work until a winner has been selected. Stories and excerpts previously published in periodicals are eligible for inclusion in submissions; manuscripts previously published or self-published in their entirety are not.
To avoid conflicts of interest or the appearance of a conflict of interest, friends and former students of the judge are ineligible to enter the competition.
You may submit your manuscript to other publishers while it is under consideration by Unboxed Books, but please notify us immediately if your manuscript is accepted elsewhere.
- Submissions may only be made through our online submissions manager at unboxedbooks.submittable.com
- An entry fee of $35.00 is required.
- Manuscripts must be double-spaced, 12-point, Times New Roman.
- The title and page numbers should be included in the header.
- Your name should appear nowhere in the manuscript. (Our online submissions manager will create a cover page that will be hidden from the judge.)
- Do not include acknowledgements or dedications.
- There is no restriction on manuscript length.
- Your manuscript must be an original work of which you are the sole author.
- Any manuscript not in compliance with the eligibility requirements, format guidelines, and entry requirements will be disqualified.
- No entry fees or manuscripts will be returned.
- This competition is void where prohibited or restricted by law.
- The decision of the judge is final. In the event the judge does not choose a winner, Unboxed Books will select one.
About the Contest
We seek submissions of novels or short story collections from all writers, from the unknown to the well-known, and everyone in between.
The submission deadline is December 1, 2012. The winner will be announced February 1.
The winner will receive $5,000, and his or her book will be published in both print and digital formats in the Fall of 2013.
About the Judge
Francine Prose is the author of many bestselling books of fiction, including A Changed Man and Blue Angel, which was a finalist for the National Book Award. Her nonfiction book Reading Like a Writer was a New York Times bestseller. Her latest novel is My New American Life. She is the former president of PEN American Center.
About the Prize
The prize is funded by the deGroot Foundation in association with Provincetown Arts.